My mobile phone is a Nokia. A real Nokia, running Symbian, not one of these Windows upstarts. I love it, it does everything I want a phone to do and does it very well. I can run my life almost entirely from it (although blogging usually requires a real computer at some point).
But as I do run my life from it, it requires me to keep track of my calendar on it, and therein lies a tale.
I have a variety of Google calendars, to track various things; my own activities and family birthdays being just two. This means they can be shared among people who need to have some idea of where I am at any given time. Of course Google do provide a mobile web interface to their calendars but its interface is almost entirely unusable and it relies on having a data connection so that was never going to be sufficient.
Until recently therefore I had synced my main calendar with my phone using the ‘Mail For Exchange’ application which comes free with the phone. This was really forcing it to do something it didn’t really like and the result was that I had my main Google calendar synced to a (secondary) calendar on my phone and resorted to the web to view the others.
I might well have continued like this indefinitely had this connection not stopped working recently and curious I looked around for something else.
I found Googasync. It’s a native Symbian application and although a paid for application it does have a free fourteen day trial. So I downloaded it and had a play.
The picture on the website had tempted me with a pair of screenshots, one of several Google calendars and another of the same calendars on the phone. Could it really do that? Well I started the application, entered my username and password and went to the select calendars option. It crashed.
I opened it and tried again. It crashed again.
Slightly irritated, I decided to give it an alternative chance to prove itself. I open it and clicked on the big ‘Sync’ button. This ran me through the settings screens again but this time I refrained from trying to sync more than one calendar. Having refused its option to delete entries from my existing calendar (bear in mind that my default calendar was not used by ‘Mail For Exchange’ I let it sync. This time, there was success. Each calendar now contained all previous items from both calendars.
From this point it seemed happy to go through the process of downloading my list of calendars from Google and syncing the ones I asked. Yes, this was exactly what I had wanted all along. My next challenge was to send a support query to find out if I would need to reinstall if I purchased it and more importantly to prove there was someone at the end of the company and that going through the purchase process would result in a downloadable (and usable) application.
That done, I did indeed purchase it and really I only wish I’d discovered it sooner. It’s not complicated, it just does what I want and really that’s all any application should do.
- It syncs multiple Google calendars to multiple Nokia calendars (syncing the main Google calendar to the default phone calendar).
- It automatically re-syncs at intervals if you want (or manually if you don’t).
- It’s a paid for application and the initial price shown is excluding VAT.
- Support is slow. I had to wait several days for a reply to my query. I doubt I’ll get much help if it goes wrong.
- Automatic syncing is limited to a simple interval. There’s no concept of peak times.